Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Really, California?

I just do not get why it is so important for some people to tell other people how they should live!

My daughter, Goldie, is so very eloquent. She wrote this in her blog yesterday:


california broke my heart

Speaking in stereotypes:
California, you must be a woman.
You sit and look pretty.
You shine with your sun.
You feed me with your produce.
You bear children with your population.
Then you feed those children with your produce and you shine.
Despite being overworked, over-tilled and overpopulated.

Speaking in stereotypes:
California, you must be a woman.
You give me options
(Yes on Prop H8. No on Prop H8.)
And despite what we know is right, you do what’s wrong.
Despite what’s fair, you go the other way.
You fickle, moody woman.
Running on emotions.

California, you must be a woman.
And seeing as you are a woman, even if I wanted to….
I couldn’t marry you.

Even though I’ve been with you all of my life...
I couldn’t marry you.
California. Even though I love you with all of my heart and even though I will never leave...even though I will raise our children here and tell them not to leave either because no one will ever treat them as well…even though I tried by voting NO ON 8.
I can’t marry you.

California. You keep breaking my heart.

4 comments:

Bigguy said...

I too am growing weary of people telling me what to believe and what to accept. I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman and I accept that truth. I grow very tired of hetro-phobes pushing their agenda on me.

goldie said...

"Hetero-phobes" alludes to a a group that has a fear/disdain of straight people. If you've run into folks that TRULY have a disdain for straight people, that's quite unfortunate. However, I don't think that truly is the case.

I don't really get down for people that have a disdain for a group as a whole. I'm not fighting for the "hetero-phobes" that you're referring to.

I'm fighting for two consenting adults to be able to marry.

So, please, Uncle Alf, don't blame the wrong person for "pushing their agenda" on you. Blame me for shoving my I'M-STRAIGHT-NO-ON-8 agenda into your face. Metaphorically speaking.

odubb said...

guess when california finally comes to her senses, i'll keep you off the invite list for my wedding. thanks for the heads up, unc'.

Mastering It said...

You can believe what you want, my bro. The difference is that no one is telling you what you can and cannot do ... no one is denying your right to marry the person of your choice. What I have never understood is what difference can it possibly make in your life if other people, whatever gender, decide to marry.